What is the purpose of an obfuscated a database?
The purpose of an obfuscated a database is to anonymize data in a SQL database using a script. This is particularly useful for when support requests a customer databases to investigate an issue, where their may be personal or sensitive data.
What will this script do to my data?
- EXTRACTS the recent login and robot job history (then truncates the remaining data)
- OBFUSCATES the fba users table and truncates the other fba tables (if present)
- OVERWRITES the file store with junk text files
- TRUNCATES the log tables
- UPDATES the text columns so that the text value = the column name, or NULLs them
- SHRINKS the data and log tables to make restoring easier
What should I do before using this script?
- Ensure you have a good backup of your production database (just in case)
- Edit the USE line below with the name of your TEST database (the database that will be blanked)
- uncomment the code block
This should be ran against a refreshed backup of the database.
How do I run the script?
Contact support to request a copy of the obfuscated script.
1. Read the steps at the top of the script.
2.Ensure the correct DB copy is referenced in the dropdown in the toolbar in the top left of SSMS.
3.Insert the name of the DB copy into the square brackets (ensure this is not the Live database) Use [INSERT TEST DATABASE NAME HERE]
4.Remove the comments surrounding the script.
Check the size of the DB has reduced and this can be sent to use via our secure Dropoff site/FTP or S3
Ask Support for the URL on your preferred method.